Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Magical Mystery tour begins ....

Wow - so this is what "Brave New World" is talking about.

Welcome to the Barkan Dawg. My name is Jon Barkan and I am a former journalist who misses writing. So over time, I will make up for what I have missed out on and hopefully you will respond and give me more food for thought and topics to discuss.

Thanks to the great, wonderful world we live in - there will be stories on everything from A to Z on here on a daily basis. If you have something you want to vent or talk about - throw it out there and let's see what happens. Most people that blog have an agenda - I just have the will to want to write about any and all issues. It may be sports related one day, or on how dumb the Senators looked trying to grill Judge Roberts, or on how my three-year-old talks from the time she wakes up until the time she goes to bed.

A little bit of background on me, I was born on July 10, 1968 in Hackensack, N.J. I am the only child of Neil and Judie Barkan. They had been New Yorkers for their entire lives until they moved to Atlanta in June. Talk about culture shock? I am sure there will be many pieces on them. If you want a good mental picture - combine the Seinfeld and Costanza parents into one group - and there you have my family.I went to Northeastern University in Boston. From there, I lived in East Lansing, MI, New York City, Washington D.C. and now Atlanta, GA. Been a Southerner for eight years.

I am happily married to Elizabeth for the past six years and have two beautiful daughters - Abbie, who is almost 4 and Miriam who is almost 1. As I have said all along, my penance for my past life is to have all women around me and so far it is dead on. I am sure you will hear about them in future blogs.

I am a registered Democrat but don't vote party - I vote person and the issues. If you are political - then I am sure you will email back with your views or comments. I have only one caveat - if you don't vote - don't complain! It is a privledge and honor to be able to vote - what people are dying for all over the world and too many people don't get off their asses and make a difference because it's too far or it's raining. If you don't vote - don't bitch!

In sports, the N.Y. Giants, Chicago Cubs and Atlanta Thrashers. In college, I am a Michigan State and Northeastern fan. I root for Georgia because it's my wife's family team. When in Rome, be a Roman.

I am very involved in our community in Atlanta, and there are many times I will talk about what I do. I am a nice Jewish boy from N.J. and I am involved in AIPAC, the Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta, Hillels of Georgia, the Davis Academy, Cystic Fibrosis, and Temple Sinai and Ahavath Achim synagogues. I don't care what your causes are - there are many good causes. All I ask is that you help - do something to make a difference. Too many people complain about being asked to do volunteer work. It is a great thing to be able to help people - try it and you will see.

So - that's a good start to my blogging life. I hope you stay with me on this fun journey to who knows where. Feel free to email at JBarkan@yahoo.com.

Until next time - I will leave you will something I was always told: "Wake up, read the obituaries. If you name isn't in there, get up, get dressed and get smiling. You just received another gift."

2 comments:

Julie said...

Love it - Barkan Dawg! Thanks for sharing and allowing everyone to keep closer tabs on you. You know it's taking all of my will power to not mention a certain NFL team - you know, the one from one of your former home towns! Yadda yadda yadda.

The Big Q said...

glad to see you have joined the tech revolution. greetings from north of paradise. we are going to have to work on this democrat thing you have. perhaps an intervention with me, mono, jj and a convict i know only as "the club".

hugs and kisses
Q