Monday, September 11, 2006

What have we learned in five years?

Wow. Has it really been that long since that horrific day? I could live to be 1,001 years old and remember everything about that day.

From my dad calling me yelling at me to turn on the news. To the Atlanta Thrashers players, coaches and staff piling into my office to see what the heck is going on. To my dear my friend, Sherry Skalko, calling me up crying hysterically saying that Mark was on the second plane. To my mom walking in New York City the next day crying as soldiers walked with machine guns.

It was and will always be Sept. 11th in my mind. The problem I have is how many people here don't feel the same way.

This is how the people of Israel have lived for a long, long time. Imagine - we are the lucky ones we aren't that close to the real action of the Middle East and have only had one day of attacks.

The world goes round and round and many think we are safe. They think that we need to defend our civil liberties more than anything else. Well kids, if a nuclear bomb goes off on our soil, how do you defend our civil liberties then? Proactive is the only way to go after terrorists.

We are not in the 50s. Happy Days was a great TV show, but it's not the reality we live in now. We need to defend our nation and be on the offensive to stop these radical people before they stop our way of life.

I am sick of Democrats and Republicans fighting over the political garbage. Just shutup and get us safe. Until that day - this propaganda that one can defend us better than the other is a joke. Neither can do the job as of right now - and then need to get on it quickly before we are hit again.

Many people died on Sept. 11 in the U.S. and many more people have died defending justice around the world since then. It's not an issue for politicians to throw around glibly. If they do - I hope you challenge them on it.

If we don't - Mark and all the others have died for no greater good. When I see him on the other side, I don't want to tell him that. Do you?

SOAPBOX - hug and kiss your kids and spouses more today than yesterday!!!!

No comments: