Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The train is on the tracks....

And the million dollar question is whether or not the Atlanta Thrashers will get off the tracks before getting hit by the train.

They started the season with their best start ever. But they just came off a 2-4 roadtrip and are now going to start playing a lot of games within the division. They are now in 6th place and they are tied with Tampa for the division lead. But they are also four points away from missing the playoffs.

ESPN.com's Scott Burnside wrote a great piece about my former boss and his murky situation if this team comes up short.

Unfortunately, I have seen the script before except it's backwards. Usually this team starts poorly and comes on strong at the end only to fall short. Well, this year they need to hang on and what's scaring me is that they are a better team that still plays many nights as if Mike Stapleton, Damian Rhodes and Ed Ward were still playing on the team.

As much as I like Andy Sutton as a person, watching him play is painful. He's making a nice living and looks like a deer in headlights many nights. Kari Lehtonen is no question going to be one of the best netminders in the game, but is getting beat on a lot of shots that don't even go in because of posts.

I don't have a good feeling on the ending, and I swear I hope I am wrong. The East is weak and the Thrashers should have enough talent to sneak in. But don't expect Don Waddell to pull off a big deal - with the ownership disaster of the Atlanta Spirit and his track record, Eric Belanger is as big as they come.

That being said, they are still a heck of a lot better than the Atlanta Hawks. They are fighting for title of worst franchise in sports.

From the funniest thing I have seen in a long time, the Atlanta Falcons are having a Leadership Training Camp. Is it me or is it an oxymoron for those guys to teach leadership to others when they can't even lead their franchise quarterback to stop smoking and carrying pot through airports? Just wondering if it's me???

No comments: