Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Mr. April strikes again

Many of you know how much I cannot stand George Steinbrenner. I think he's one of the people that has ruined pro sports. With the kind of payroll the Yankees have every year, shouldn't they win the title?

Well, there's one thing I have always agreed with The Boss about and that was a comment he made about Dave Winfield. In 1981, Steinbrenner made headlines by signing Winfield to a 10-year, $23 million contract, making him the game's highest-paid player. Winfield was one of the best players in the game throughout the life of the contract, but soon had a falling out with Steinbrenner.

He helped the Yankees to the 1981 American League pennant, but then had a poor World Series, and the Yankees lost in six games to the Los Angeles Dodgers. A bitter Steinbrenner derided Winfield by saying "I got rid of Mr. October (Reggie Jackson) and got Mr. May." The Mr. May comment lived with him for the rest of his career.

What a great line - my question is, can we call Alex Rodriguez Mr. April? He's following Winfield's past of having great regular seasons and folding like a card table in the playoffs.

Hey Yankee fans - enjoy his five homers while you can. We all know who will shop up when the real money is on the line and the answer is Derek Jeter.

Two days until the Thrashers first playoff game ever. I am rooting for them even though they are playing my childhood team in the Rangers. I know my pals in NY don't understand... but they will get over it, I hope!

If I had to pick my Stanley Cup Finals - I will take Buffalo and Anaheim. It's hard to pick against a team that will have either Chris Pronger or Scott Niedermayer on the ice for almost 50 minutes a game.

No comments: