Friday, July 13, 2007

Alarming welcome back

So last night we put the kids to bed at 8 p.m. and we went to sleep at 8:20. We were just wiped out ... we started to catch up on television that we missed, but fell asleep in the first minutes of watching.

At 3:15 a.m. the house alarm went off saying their was a fire in the basement. I went flying out of bed scared half to death and the kids never woke up. Not even a peep from them. Luckily, there was no such fire and I searched the whole house and everything was fine.

ADT called and everything was cool except the woman told me that I had no zone 15 where it said there was a fire. I called this morning and I went through this exercise of trying to figure it out, but of course a technician has to come out to find out what's up.

We went back to sleep and got to sleep until about 6:15 - so we are close to being back on schedule. This trip to LA may be a bit fun for my system next week.

Couple of things I forgot to mention that I noticed while in Israel. First - we walked by a tattoo parlor and I laughed. You aren't allowed to be buried in a Jewish cemetery if you have one, so it's funny that there is one in Jerusalem. Still not as funny as the sign I saw years ago in Tennessee - "Tattoos while you wait." As if there was another way to do this?

The other thing is cats. There are cats EVERYWHERE in Israel walking the streets. All I could think about was the final episode of the Sopranos where the cat followed Paulie everywhere. Just funny.

Great to be back in the States - missed the kids, my bed and all the other comforts of home. It makes what my new friend, and Israeli soldier, Zach Nussbaum did that much more incredible. Here's his picture for those who wanted to see him. Keep him in your thoughts and be thankful we have kids like him on our side! Have a great weekend.

No comments: