Sunday, July 08, 2007

Lunch with soldiers

It's not 1:46 JST and we just got done having lunch with soliders at an army base near the border.

We sat with a young man who's originally from South Africa. He has been in the Army for a year and was in tank commander school. He literally was new to the base - he had been there three hours when we ate with him. Food wasn't bad - schnitzel. BTW - the flies here are huge - can saddle these suckers up.

But I digress.

The soldier and all of the other soldiers were carrying their machine guns. Placed it at his feet when eating.

By the way - we have a retired Colonel who is giving us our tour... He also led our discussion with UNIFIL officers from India and Italy. I would write more about the conversation - but I would have to kill you. Seriously though - I wish I could tell you differently - but they were useless.

The man from India said that they could stop a car, but not search it. Yeah - that's gonna work?! Just nuts.

I asked Ezra our guide if Israeli's think the UN is as useless as we in the U.S.A. think and he said they like them a little - but not a ton.

OK - back on the bus and the ride continues.... More later.

No comments: