Monday, July 30, 2007

Do you really need a new toy?

Having two children, there are toys all over the house. Seems like in every room, there is something for them to play with. And if they don't like the toys in the one specific room, they swap out from other rooms.

Heck, most of the time, they'd rather have a big box that they can color and just play in and around. And I have two girls - no boys.

But I was thinking, all of these years later, am I or any of my male friends any different?

The only difference I see is that our toys are technical and cost a bunch of money. We all have iPods, Blackberry's, cell phones, surround sound, HD, Tivo, flat screens, wireless high tech remotes and all of that junk.

But I have drawn a line in the sand - I am anti-iPhone. Not saying that it isn't a cool toy. Just saying I don't need it.

Shocking to hear me say that huh? I don't need it. My fingers quake when typing those words.

Why do I feel this way about what can be the coolest invention in a long time? Let's breakdown what it is.

It's an all in one product combining a phone, iPod and Blackberry. I have all of those and I like what I have at this point. Plus the email keypad to type is OK, not great. I am addicted to my Crackberry and I love the keypad on the older one I have. I didn't even get the newer ones because of it.

My friend Matt, who works for AT&T, told me to sit tight and the price will drop and the product will get better in less than a year. But I am not sure I would jump on the bandwagon when it comes to that.

I am scared, I must be growing up if I am feeling this way. The old me, would have gone out an bought the iPhone right away.

But I don't need a toy in every room anymore. I just need the right ones that get the job done. Besides, I rather spend the money buying the girls new dresses and toys.

More fun for me right now ... wait for October to see if it's more girls toys, or I get to buy toys for a boy.

I can definitely use a Tonka dumptruck right about now. Doubt I will get it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that 'a clue" no dump truck.

Unknown said...

I don't need anything except this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair. Oh..... and maybe this iPhone.

JB said...

OUTSTANDING JOEL!!! Always great when someone can quote Steve Martin. Hope all's well.