Saturday, July 21, 2007

What a long, strange trip it has been

Morning all - back in Hotlanta and I think I am finally back on the Eastern Time Zone with my sleeping pattern as well.

Let me recap my last three weeks. It started at the end of June for the Red Lobster trip to Boston. We shot our SMT on a Coast Guard Cutter and it was just awesome. Last week we just launched the new RL website and chef's blog. Within a week or so, our first video casts and the video from the trip to Boston will be up. Take a look and tell me what you think about the site/pages.

From Boston, came home for 36 hours and then left for Israel. If you haven't read my past posts from that great trip, start on July 1 and read on. Just an incredible trip from our experiences with Wexner to our anniversary (7th) to my birthday. For those of you scoring at home, I am the exact same age as Red Lobster. Anyone know that answer? How about my Jack Benny reference in my past post? OK, the answer is 39. Next year is a biggie according to most folks - to me ... it's another year on the planet and that is all I ask for.

That being said, there will be a few special occasions throughout the year to celebrate. Details to come down the road, but I can tell you two places to look for me ... and both are so obvious: Las Vegas and Chicago. Might have to throw a stop in Denver for the Frozen Four for the first time in a few years.

OK - so back to the travel month from hell. I came home from Israel for three and a half days and then hit the road to Los Angeles for GCI Digital Media meetings this past week. Stayed at a great hotel called Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica, but didn't get to really spend much time there as we were in a conference room most of our waking time.

But I was able to close out my trip in big time style. Left the meetings around noon and headed to meet a good friend Justin Simon, who interned for me at CNNSI.com (by the way, CNNSI.com launched 10 years ago this past week! Man time flies). Justin has been working on this idea for a long time and I have been helping him as best I can for a few years. At lunch he brought me his idea packaged and ready to go - it's called AlwaysLit. It's a product for smokers - it attaches your lighter to your pack of cigarettes, bong or pipe. The idea is that you won't lose your lighters anymore. Going to be a huge hit - check it out on the website and buy some. The price is $5 per unit. So excited!

From there - off to see the Stanley Cup with David McNab and his family. What an incredible afternoon this was. Kari threw the party at their community clubhouse and it was just a beautiful area and a great day. David's roommate from college and now Denver coach George Gwozdecky was there with his daughter for the day and we had a blast.

The highlight for me is the picture you see below of the McNab boys. David to the left, Max his dad, who won the cup with the Red Wings in the 50s and his brother Peter, who lost three times in the finals. Peter wouldn't touch the cup because of tradition/superstition and had to explain to his girls why he wouldn't, but said that because their uncle won it, they could touch it.

You can see all the photos from the day with the cup at my Photoworks page. There will be more coming as David had the team photographer there as well and we took a picture of David, George and me with the cup. Can't wait to see that one!

From there, I grabbed a red eye back to Atlanta and was home Friday morning. When I got in my car, it hit me what an awesome ride I just had and how lucky I was for all of it.

OK - about to get the kids up and going for a fun Daddy Daughter Day ... have no idea where to, but it's just great to go anywhere with them.


No comments: