Thursday, July 19, 2007

A Day with Stanley

Greetings from Yorba Linda, California. There are days in your life that you will always remember - today was one of those days.

I had the pleasure and honor of going to David McNab's Stanley Cup party. His bride, Kari, put together a beautiful party at their clubhouse of their community.

The party started at 3 pm with close friends and family. Thankfully, I fit into that category and got there early. When I arrived, it was great to see David, Kari and their girls, Ali and Erica.

Some of you know the story of Ali's boyfriend, who got drunk for the first time ever the night the Ducks won the cup. Got to meet him and he's a great kid. He laughed when David told him I knew the story.

I took a few more steps in and I saw another old friend George Gwozdecky and his daughter Adrienne. Gwoz and McNab have known each other since 73 when their were freshmen at Wisconsin together. Gwoz has won at every level he has been at and he won't touch the cup because he might win it someday.

Adrienne took a sip of champagne from the cup as did David's girls and it was awesome. McNab let anyone drink from the trophy and it was awesome to watch.

It was also great to see David's father Max, who won the cup with the Red Wings in 1950 and his brother Peter, who lost the cup three times in the finals. Peter didn't touch the cup as well - but he let his girls touch it.

Then at 6 p.m. David let a bunch of folks from his community and the girls friends. He spoke about how this isn't going to be a crazy party - but a respectful one because of the cup. I couldn't agree with him more.

During the night great hockey songs were being played. Best of the night was the Brass Bonanza - McNab worked for the Whalers and the girls love the song. It is a classic among classics.

It was my third night where I have been around the cup and it's better each time. This is better because David waited 29 years to have this night and I am so happy I could crash it!!!

What an incredible night.... Pics will be up later.

Off to party more with Stanley before catching the 11:55 p.m. Delta back to the ATL!

No comments: