Wednesday, July 11, 2007

All my bags are packed ... I'm ready to go....

For those of you that are as old as I am, you remember Peter, Paul and Mary's Leavin' on a Jet Plane. Well we have about 7 more hours until we leave for the airport and as great a time as we have had here, we are ready to go home and see the girls.

Woke up and went to Yad Vashem - haven't been here since they reopened it. It's beyond words - very powerful and very scary. For those of you who know me a tiny bit, I will warn you know that I am recharged and ready to get on my projects for the Atlanta community more than ever before. And if I call you and/or email you about giving or getting involved in something, you had better be ready for me. After seeing what I have seen and studying what I have studied - don't give me excuses because I am not going to hear them.

We are living in serious times and we need serious people and I am serious about making sure our community, our children and our family in Israel get whatever they need to keep us going. L'dor V'dor - from generation to generation ... it's our time and it's our turn. As Newt Gingrich told us - what would you do or give if Israel was hit by a nuclear bomb tomorrow? Why would you even wait for tomorrow when you can try and save her and the U.S. way of life today?

If you come to Israel and don't get charged up - not sure that you ever can. To finish the song, "don't know when I'll be back again ... oh babe, I hate to go."

OK - off the soapbox for now... but I will be knocking on doors in Atlanta soon and you better answer because I won't stop until you answer our call to our mispaucha.

Some random thoughts from Israel. First, cell phones. These people all have them and NONE of them know the word vibrate. In Yad Vashem and they tell everyone to turn them off, but of course the Israelis don't care. Walking through and you can hear rings from time-to-time.

Second - driving. These people may the NY cabbies look timid. They are all nuts and they honk more than Neil Barkan ever has (mom, I ain't kidding!). They scream, they yell, they drive like madmen. You have to see this for yourself to believe it.

Third - the David Citadel hotel is a nice spot. Highly recommend it to all of you.

Fourth - went to buy a challah today at the bakery we love and they had none. Don't sell them except on Shabbat. Disappointing - but very interesting. I am sure we aren't the first ones or the last to ask for them on a non-Friday.

Lastly, the funny moment from the day. As we came down from breakfast this morning we saw Howard Friedman, AIPAC's President. He was walking with someone and he introduced Elizabeth and me to. We shook the man's hand and said hello and then they left. A minute later Howard comes back to tell me that we just met the new Prime Minister of the Palestinan Authority. Elizabeth looked at me and I looked at her and we wiped our hands off and laughed. Only Howard Friedman could pull that one off. Just classic.

OK - off to the pool for a little bit... more before we leave.

No comments: